Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Technical FAQ #3

Here is a technical question sent in by a cheerleader and our responses in red.

Hi there, I'll like to ask about 1 of the rules.

Open Division Safety Guidelines

3. Inversions

3.2 Downwards inversions from prep level and above must be assisted by at least 2 bases. The top person must maintain contact with an original base.

For the stunt I've described, my bases will momentarily have no contacts with the top person, as the bases are tossing the top person up and catching her in the stunt position. Therefore it's impossible for my bases to maintain contact throughout with the top person. HOWEVER, as the top person is being tossed up, there will be an extra 3rd person holding onto the top person's foot, hence reducing the impact and letting the 2 tossers move to absorb the top person down in waterfall position. The previous time I consulted CAS, I was told that my stunt could be done as the top person is not free-alling downwards. I just want to seek confirmation here just in case it is penalised during Cheerobics. Thanks.

3. Inversions
3.2 Downwards inversions from prep level and above must be assisted by at least 2 bases. The top person must maintain contact with an original base.

Previously the "above" was actually stated as "below". After a thorough discussion, we reviewed this rule and logically changed it. This allows the mentioned stunt to be legal, as long as the base has contact with the top person during the period when the top persion is inverted.

No comments: